IF you participated in the TOUR de NORTH PORT, please click here for a message from the Sponsor!
Student members of NJHS are required to earn a total of 15 community service hours during the school year. Community service is defined as volunteering your time within the community at large or the PV community. We ask that students not "double-dip" - meaning that hours earned should not be used to satisfy requirements a student may have with multiple organizations (such as Boy/Girl Scouts, etc.)
Each year, the top three members earning the highest number of community service hours are recognized with the National Junior Honor Society Grand Medallion.
To SIGN UP (register) for any event listed below, Click on the Name of the Event. You will be redirected to the Signup Page. Remember to take VOLUNTEER FORMS with you to each event.
Volunteer Opportunities Available:
* SELBY LIGHTS IN BLOOM - Two spots now available for December 29th,
5:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
*Teacher/Student Helpers for: (Click on Teacher name to be taken to signup page)
* ARTS/CRAFTS PROJECT - Sign up to create a really cool low-tech project that will be used for distribution to teachers. This project will take about 3-4 days (Mon 12/11 - Thurs 12/14) so try to stay involved by signing up for multiple days if you can. You will be working in groups of two (2). Volunteers will be creating a giant key ring - you'll be cutting paper, labeling, laminating and setting up rings.... very colorful. If you wish to view an example of what you will be creating, CLICK HERE
* PV Special Olympics - PV will once again be hosting the Special Olympics event here on campus. Mark your calendars for Saturday, February 17th, 2018! Thanks to the Sponsors, Mr. Delaney & Mr. Wiley, NJHS has been invited once again to participate. A total of 50(!) volunteers are needed to assist with some great positions! The event takes place from 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Ready? Set? Sign-up!!
* Teen Court Sarasota - Eighth Grade Volunteers ONLY. An awesome opportunity to get involved in Teen Court process. Paperwork must be completed and taken to the event. These will be emailed to you upon signup. Multiple event dates availabe (times are from 5:00 - 7:15 pm). Six slots available for each event date: September 27, October 18 and November 1.
Volunteer Opportunities PAST:
* Beach Cleanup @ Turtle Beach - annual beach cleanup. Saturday, Sept. 23 @ Turtle Beach from 8 am - 10 am... Closed-toe shoes, hat, sunscreen and water are recommended. Signup in MLC #33... Meeting Mr. Y by parking area near beach. He'll be wearing a bright green frog shirt!
*Student/Teacher Assist - Student needed to assist Mrs. Barber, creating files/folders, etc. You must be able to work three consecutive school days, either Period 5 or Period 7. You choose the dates and period. (September 26th through October 6th).
*PV Fair Duck Pond & Prize Wheel Setup & Cleanup - Signup is now available for a total of 6 students to help with setup & cleanup of the Duck Pond & Prize Wheel booths for NJHS and MSSC. We can't do it without you! 10:00 a.m. for setup (1 hour) and 4:00 p.m. for cleanup (1 hour).
* PV Fair Duck Pond Booth - A few more helpers are needed. Signup is now available. Have some fun, collect tickets, watch people pick their mighty ducks & pass out prizes!
* PV Fair - annual PV Fair helpers are needed. Signup to help setup or cleanup - or both! A total of fifteen volunteers are needed, five for each time slot: Friday, Oct 6 (4-6 pm to setup); Saturday, Oct 7 (9-11 am to setup); Saturday, Oct 7 (4 - 6pm to cleanup).
* PV Fair Bingo Booth - EiVolunteer at the Pine View Fair and help with the Bingo Room & Table on October 7th! Sponsor is Mrs. Schell. Volunteer duties include: collecting tickets, handing out Bingo boards, working technology and more!
*PV Book Fair - The annual Pine View Book Fair is just around the corner and, once again, in need of wonderful NJHS volunteers to assist in its operation. Scheduled from Friday, September 29th through October 7th, many time slots are available for filling! One hour increments.... sign-up to earn lots of hours while having fun doing it!
*Balloons, Balloons Everywhere! - This is a great opportunity for students who need flexible time slots. Help prepare for the PV Fair by volunteering your time to blow up balloons with helium, writing on them and tying them up with pretty ribbon. Volunteers get to choose the hour(s) that work for them - anytime between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Thursday and Friday, October 5th and 6th. Event takes place on Campus.
* PV Chess Tournament - PV will once again be hosting the Chess Tournaments event here on campus. The first round is on Sunday, October 29th and wil be loads of fun! Dress up in a Halloween Costume if you wish and help out! Three different shift times (2 hours each) are available to students. The event will take place in the Student Union. Volunteers to meet up in the Teacher Lounge. You will receive one slice of pizza free and unlimited beverage. Please bring $$ if you would like to make additional purchases.
InspireSarasota! - Signup is now available for InspireSarasota! Sponsored by the Arts & Cultural Alliance of Sarasota, this is a great day to be had by all! Saturday, November 4th, from 9:30 am - 5:00 pm at the Five Points Park, Downtown Sarasota (Selby Library). Many volunteer opportunities are available! All volunteer members will receive a Community Service Certificate, as well as a T-Shirt! PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE GENERAL INFORMATION PAGE OF THE FORM BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!!
* Teen Court Venice - Eighth Grade Volunteers ONLY. An awesome opportunity to get involved in Teen Court process. Paperwork must be completed and taken to the event. These will be emailed to you upon signup. Multiple event dates availabe (times are from 5:00 - 7:15 pm). Four slots available for each event date: September 25, October 16 and October 30.
*Heads-Up Pine View Activities - An incredible opportunity to earn lots of hours right here on campus! Help support the Heads-Up, Elementary Student Council, PV Initiative! Volunteer opportunities available from Monday, September 18th through Tuesday, October 31st! Working with Elementary Student Council, optional activities for students have been created - there are Board Games, Music Days, Trivia Days and more! Check it out! DON'T FORGET to take a VOLUNTEER FORM with you to record hours! They are available on our website under Student Volunteer Forms.
*8th Annual Tour de North Port - Once again, the Imagine School & People for Trees has invited our wonderful PV NJHS members to volunteer at this exciting event. The 8th Annual Tour de North Port, "It's the Green Pumpkin!", will take place on Sunday, October 22nd. Sponsored by People for Trees, a non-profit native tree advocacy group since 1997, the Tour is not a race but an organized bicycle ride where cyclists follow a 15, 35, or 65-mile route through North Port that highlights the city's parks and natural settings. Volunteers are needed to fill many different positions. Stuff Goodie Bags, Guide parking, setup breakfasts, decorating, registration, work rest stops passing out water, and more! This event is in NORTH PORT. Contact is Mrs. Alice White, People for Trees. You will be contacted by her regarding the assignment you have chosen with further details. NOTE: Goodie Bag Stuffing will be on Saturday, October 21st.
Kolsky, Gullick, Schell, Myers, Abeysekera, Tucak, Bradly, Wise
* LIGHTS IN BLOOM - SELBY GARDENS -
* Old Venice Road Clean-ups - More Information Coming Soon
* Big Truck Day - More Information Coming Soon
* Selby Gardens Lights In Bloom - More Information Coming Soon
* PV Student/Teacher Assistance - More Information Coming Soon
* PV Gardening Club - More Information Coming Soon
* PV Special Olympics - More Information Coming Soon